Dear Parents/Guardians & Community Members,
It is hard to believe the end of the first semester is fast approaching. Where has the time gone!? Before you know it, Spring will arrive and we will be staring down the end of the school year. Prior to hitting the fast-forward button to warmer weather, please take the time to review the information below and offer feedback on the 5Essentials Survey if you are able.
SCHOOL/DISTRICT REPORT CARDS
The State of Illinois has released its report card data along with the report cards of every school and district in the state. The Southwestern Community Unit School District #9’s report card can be found on our website at www.piasabirds.net or at https://www.illinoisreportcard.com/ where you can locate and view any school’s or district’s report card in the state. There is a plethora of information one can review, as well as past year’s data to compare it with.
I think it’s important to celebrate the areas that we as a district are most proud of, as well as acknowledge the areas in need of improvement. Positive markers for the district include:
• Southwestern High School has been recognized as one of the top schools in the U.S. News and World Report https://www.usnews.com/education/best-high-schools/illinois/districts/southwestern-cusd-9/southwestern-high-school-6942
• High School graduation rate is well above state average
• English and Language Arts (ELA) meets and exceeds percentage is well above state average on state assessments in grades 3-8
• Science assessment meets and exceeds percentages are well above the state average at all levels
• Average of students requiring remedial courses in community college is far below state’s
• Our District’s instructional spending per pupil is 45% below the state average
Conversely, we are slightly below state average on the state assessments in mathematics districtwide and ELA at the high school. These areas will be addressed as we move forward with our District improvement process.
The 5Essentials Survey is a state-mandated annual survey of each district’s parents, staff and students in grades 4-12. A summary of 5Essentials data will be made available to the public in the fall via the Illinois Report Card site, which will also contain a link to a school’s full 5Essentials Report. Each eligible student will be asked to complete the survey during class time between January 6 and February 14. If you do not wish for your child to complete the survey, please submit your wishes to your child’s school in writing, and we will honor your request. We encourage all parents to complete this confidential survey using this link https://survey.5-essentials.org/illinois/ by February 14. This link will also appear on the homepage of the District website www.piasabirds.net.
I hope everyone has a joy-filled and SAFE Holiday Season! GO PIASA BIRDS!
Kyle M. Hacke, Superintendent